The Church of Uganda has officially backed the government’s decision to postpone the 2026 Uganda Martyrs Day celebrations at Namugongo due to fears surrounding the Ebola outbreak in neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo.
In a statement issued on Monday by the Provincial Secretary, Rev. Canon William Ongeng, the Church said the decision followed consultations between the Government of Uganda, national epidemic response authorities, and religious leaders aimed at protecting pilgrims and the general public from possible exposure to the deadly virus.
The annual celebrations, scheduled for June 3, attract millions of pilgrims from Uganda and across the region, including thousands from Eastern Congo, where Ebola cases have recently been reported.
“While this annual gathering remains one of the most significant events on the Christian calendar, the Church recognizes the importance of prioritizing public safety and preserving life,” the statement read.
The Church of Uganda said it fully supports the guidance issued by President Yoweri Museveni, who earlier announced the postponement of the celebrations as a precautionary public health measure.
Church leaders called upon Christians, dioceses, pilgrims, and organizing committees to remain calm and cooperate with government directives and health guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health.
The Church also urged believers who had already begun preparations or travel plans for Namugongo to suspend their journeys and continue praying for the country and communities affected by the Ebola outbreak.
In the statement, the Church expressed appreciation to Uganda Christian University (UCU), which had been tasked with organizing this year’s Anglican Martyrs Day celebrations, commending the institution and its partners for the extensive preparations already undertaken.
“We commend the University leadership, organizing committees, partners, volunteers, and all stakeholders for the tremendous preparations, commitment, and resources that had already been invested towards the successful hosting of this important event,” Rev. Ongeng stated.
The Church further assured Christians that it will continue engaging government and health authorities on possible alternatives or safer arrangements for commemorating the Uganda Martyrs in the future.
The postponement marks one of the rare interruptions of the annual religious event, which is regarded as one of Africa’s largest Christian pilgrimages and a major spiritual and cultural occasion for Uganda.
Church of Uganda also applauded health workers, security agencies, and government officials for their efforts in safeguarding the country during the ongoing regional health threat.
“May God protect Uganda and grant healing to all affected communities,” the statement concluded.































